Tax & Treasury Manager
Heyland Recruitment are delighted to be assisting our client, a large multinational manufacturing business in the Cheshire area, as they seek to appoint an experienced Tax & Treasury Manager following a recent retirement.
Reporting to the Finance Director, this role will provide exposure to all aspects of Taxation and Treasury activity for all European entities and play a lead role in the next stage of the function’s development journey. The candidate must be technically sound, adopt a continuous improvement mentality and have an ability to communicate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that the company’s taxation processes are maintained in accordance with the standards required by the Senior Accounting Officer regime.
- Develop relationships with HMRC and focus on achieving the best possible HMRC risk rating.
- Maintain and develop tax policies including general tax strategy, VAT policy, transfer pricing policy.
- Ensure legal compliance in all areas of taxation whilst mitigating the overall tax liabilities of the business in line within the agreed tax strategy, identifying and maximising the benefit of all possible tax incentives (such as R&D, Patent Box, Capital Allowances).
- Facilitate implementation and monitoring of processes required for compliance with the Criminal Finances Act.
- Support the FD and other members of the Senior Leadership Team with proactive tax advice. If necessary, provide ad hoc analysis and project work for matters such as group restructuring / integration of acquisitions / establishment of new trading companies.
- Drive process improvements to improve data accuracy, minimise adjustments and reduce dependence on off-line systems and analysis. Prepare the business for developments in the HMRC’s “Making Tax Digital” strategy.
- Review, finalise and submit Corporation Tax and VAT returns.
- Liaise with the HR Team to manage employment tax issues.
- Advise on VAT and customs duty in respect of imports / exports and facilitate process improvements required. Participate in development projects (for example, application for Authorised Economic Operator status).
- Support the business with Environmental tax requirements (for example Climate Change Levy, Plastic Packaging Tax).
- Manage relationships with UK and Nordic tax advisers ensuring good control of fees within agreed budgets.
- Monitor corporate taxation accounts (CT / Deferred Tax / VAT) in the balance sheet to ensure that they are up to date and accurate at all times.
- Completion of year end taxation reporting tools for Group and prepare all tax notes for statutory accounts.
- Maintain and develop treasury policies including foreign currency and cash management.
- Maintain and develop robust and integrated cash flow forecasting models linking to forecast odel.
- Produce forecast foreign currency flows and highlight potential risks and hedging strategies in line with Group guidelines. Implement strategies agreed with Group / FD.
- Manage day-to-day treasury operations across Europe, including cash management, accounting and reporting.
- Ensure compliance with processes to maintain banking security, monitor developments and provide updates / training to the Finance and wider teams as required.
- With the Finance team, drive measures to improve cashflow and optimise working capital.
- Ensure net cash / debt levels always stay within available facilities.
- Ensure interest income / costs are always optimised.
- Maintain and develop banking relations with at least three banks.
- Develop comprehensive management information and related review processes to enable proper oversight of actual and forecast financial positions monthly.
- Monitor bank and currency revaluation accounts in the balance sheet to ensure that they are up to date and accurate at all times.
- A qualified Tax professional with a strong academic background and post qualification experience.
- Self-motivated and driven to continually improve processes and seek new challenges.
- Commercially astute, curious, and enthusiastic with a can-do attitude.
- Flexible with the ability to adapt to different situations and an interest in commercial operations with willingness to learn and pick up things outside of the tax specialist.
- This diverse and challenging role is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced tax professional to shape and develop the remit, driving positive change in the business’ controls and processes.
- You will benefit from the support of a high calibre finance team and be given the opportunity to develop your career with a highly regarded and hugely successful business that invests in their employees.
- Although this is a management position, the successful candidate will need to remain hands on, immersing themselves within the role, business, and minor detail on occasion.
Role: Tax & Treasury Manager
Salary: circa £50,000 – £65,000 + bonus, 25 days holiday, pension, comprehensive benefits